See these issues on your Kindle each week with a subscription from Amazon. Try it free for two weeks. Go to http://amzn.to/1Nj5dsM
Differed folks, different strokes. Tent or RV? We all have to eat.
Camping and RV
Recipe of the Week
Wild Rice Burgers for Two
Pecan meal is inexpensive, full of flavor and it is a versatile and shortcut protein ingredient to add to burgers, batters, desserts, smoothies.
2 eggs or equivalent in Egg Beaters
1 1/2 cups cooked rice or wild rice or a mixture
1/4 cup each bread crumbs and pecan meal
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 beaten eggs or equivalent in liquid egg substitute
Small can mushroom stems and pieces, well drained
Oil for frying
In a bowl, whisk eggs. Mix in everything else and form into patties. Fry on both sides in hot oil until crispy brown. Serves 2 as a main dish.
Campground Potluck Recipe of the Week
Secret Ingredient Creamed Corn
Bring inexpensive disposable sauce dishes to the potluck and ladle this delectable, affordable side dish into them.
½ stick butter
2 tablespoons flour
Heaping teaspoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 can whole kernel corn with juice
3 cans, 15 ounces each, cream style corn
8-ounce carton whipping cream
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan melt butter and stir in flour, sugar and nutmeg. Keep stirring over medium heat while adding juice from the whole kernel corn. When mixture is smooth, stir in all corn and cream. When it comes to low boil, turn off heat and stir in cheese. Serve hot. Serves 12 to 14.
Great Retirement Gift Idea!
Do you dream of selling the house and lawn mower so you can move into an RV and travel? We did it for ten wonderful years while still in ou 30s, making a living along the way. Our book tells how you can do it now or later http://amzn.to/29XFEkq
Tips for the Camp Cook
* Before adding tomato-based food to a plastic storage container, spray it with nonstick pan spray to avoid stains. To remove stains, take containers home to run through the dishwasher or soak in a basin of very hot water with dishwasher detergent. Use rubber gloves when handling this very harsh brew.
* To serve chili or stew under a bread blanket, make a batter of 1 cup self-rising flour, two cups milk and two eggs. Heat chili or ste first. Drizzle batter. Bake in the oven or in a covered skillet until batter is firm.
* Make a recipe of Rice Crispy cookies. While they are warm use buttered hands to form into small bowls. Just before serving, fill bowls with fresh fruit.
* Here’s a shortcut topping for any fruit cobbler. Whisk together a can of sweetened condensed milk, a stick of melted butter, 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour and ½ teaspoon lemon extract. Pour batter over a casserole filled with fruit of your choice. Bake until topping browns.
* If hot juices spill, they soak into fabric oven mitts and burn your hands. Silicone oven mitts are leakproof and heatproof to 450 degrees. I like these extra long gloves.http://amzn.to/2BNyeyg with quilted lining.
* My dog piddled on the rug and every pet urine cleaner I tried did not work until I tried a Clorox brand pet urine cleaner and deodorizer. I found it at Walmart. When cleaning RV carpeting make sure to dry it well. The underlayment is probably plywood, which is subject to wood rot.
The Only Recipe You’ll Ever Need For
2 cups finely chopped vegetables (mostly onion plus small amounts of green and red pepper, celery, carrot, parsnip, turnip, jicama, scallion, okra, cabbage, chayote) OR
2 cups frozen sofrito, thawed and drained
1/4 cup (or more to taste) bacon fat, vegetable oil, butter, schmaltz, lard or shortening
3 cups cooked rice (instant, pouch pack, boil-in-the bag, steamed or boiled long grain, short grain, brown, wild rice
2 cups finely chopped cooked meat or poultry, or cooked or canned seafood, or broken nuts such as cashews or diced firm tofu or chopped cooked eggs
Salt, pepper, soy sauce to taste
Optional toppings: hot sauce, sriracha, shredded cheese, sesame seeds, minced parsley or cilantro, chopped scallions
In a skillet or wok, sizzle vegetables in hot fat until crisp-tender. Stir in rice and remaining ingredients of choice and serve hot. Serves 4.